Monday 20 June 2011

Reading and Writing (aka Thing 2)

So I did Thing 1.  Moved on to Thing 2 – reading and commenting on blogs.  Ok so I’ve read blogs before, nothing too daunting there, but it was interesting to see a) how little some have done with their blogs (hooray, I’m not alone in that!) and b) how active some that have signed up to this course already are (I applaud you guys!).

I read one post from a new blogger that mentioned being nervous yet looking forward to the potential development to be achieved from doing the 23 things.  I can fully appreciate this perspective and I’m sure it is shared by many, many bloggers (indeed it probably explains the lack of activity on some of the blogs I looked at).  Likewise, my inner dialogue is something like... what do I have to say that is worth anyone else reading?  Isn't all this blogging stuff kind of self-absorbed?  But that's the world we live in now - sorry not self-absorbed, I mean everything is accessible to anyone (sort of).  So I guess it is worthwhile finding out about it.  Actually it is probably most worthwhile to get involved rather than not given that it can impact on how we are perceived by others.  It would seem that when people “google” us people may get a picture of us that we don’t necessarily like.  Blogging in itself can (potentially) change that.   I’m very frustrated that I cannot remember where I read this as it is probably somewhere really obvious, like the cpd23 introductory blurb, but I’ve looked and can’t find it.

One blogger linked to this very interesting article about how blogging in work increases productivity.  What’s really interesting for me about this article is the mention of in-person connections being stimulated by online connections. This is something I became interested in following the Tweet-ups that have quickly become a big part of engagement in Twitter. It’s something that I have wanted to research further – the explosion on online interaction over the last 10-15 years, the idea that online communication is replacing in-person communication, but then the possibility that online interaction is prompting in-person interaction, consequently the theory that we inherently need in-person relationships and will always gravitate towards that.

My yearning to do research continues…

So to conclude Thing 2 – I’m enjoying this cpd.  I’ve enjoyed reading what others have to say and I have commented a little bit.  It’s only the first day and I’m already feeling very good about this course and looking forward to whatever developing I can achieve as we continue.

2 comments:

  1. Hi there! Thanks for commenting on my blog - thought I'd come over here to say hi. Looks like a familiar blog set-up! :) Like you say, I've not done much to customsie mine yet... I guess that's one of my next tasks. Good to hear you're already enjoying the course - me too. I was surprised at how pleased I was when I realised people were reading, and commenting on, my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anna, I have to say I'm not at all surprised at how happy I am to have someone comment. I have one follower too. Terribly vain of me, but then I'm sure I'll calm down a little once this all gets more normal!

    Yes, I had a giggle when I saw your blog - and there I thought I'd customized mine enough with colour to make it a bit different! :-)

    ReplyDelete