Monday 8 August 2011

Mis-shelved (aka Thing 10)

This Thing has me feeling really very out of place.  But then this is the Librarianship focused bit.  Time for me to reflect then on why I am doing this!

Step 1: Look back at my initial thoughts - Thing 1... Ah yes, I said I wasn't sure what I would get out of this Thing.

Step 2: Consider what I can get out of it - Learn from what is relevant and apply principles to my own situation.

Ok, but I would like to gain accreditation for what I do, despite the fact that I don't fit into the sector roles.  So what do I do?  I work damn hard, that's what!  But there isn't accreditation for that - a Certification of Damn Hard Workery is called for!  In lieu of such accreditation I shall keep plugging away.

Linkedin has enabled me to tap into the wider Administration / Business / Public Sector world through all of the groups on there.  I also receive bulletins from Public Service Management Wales, which can be quite interesting.

Whatever line of work I'm in, whatever my opportunities to move forward, the most constructive thing I can do is take some focus from this.  I'm checking whether I fit into the CILIP accreditations, but in the meantime, and regardless of whether I fit, I can still develop my portfolio and plan my professional development.  I've thought about this before and downloaded templates but then forgot about them.  So first things first, TIME MANAGEMENT - make time to plan and reflect.  It doesn't need to take much of my time to jot down items to include.  With my annual appraisal coming up in just over a week I need to reflect and recount salient points.  Last year I told myself I would make notes throughout the year to make the lead up to the appraisal less taxing.  But those plans never come to anything do they?  Ahem!!!  Well actually it's about time they did!

CILIP use a portfolio and so shall I.  I don't know if it will ever be seen by another living soul, but that's not the point.  The point is to add focus to my professional development.  If CILIP accrediation is a possibility then at least I'll be prepared for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment