Wednesday 3 August 2011

A place for everything and everything in its place (aka Things 8 & 9)

Google Calendar
I've never been great at keeping a paper diary.  My 2011 calendar at home only made it to the wall a month ago.  I'm much more of a bits of paper that I can throw away kind of girl.  Electronic calendars are a different matter.  At work we use Outlook so that covers my personal appointments.  Our unit also uses shared Outlook accounts which I need to keep organised - so I'm well practiced at juggling!  We also use a Google calendar for events we run and show these on our website.  I also have my own and a shared Google calendar outside of work.  I'm well versed at the Google way of doing things now and it works pretty well.  I'm not inclined to add my calendar to iGoogle though or to link things any more than I already have done.  I like to keep things separate sometimes so that I can keep an eye on things.  I may connect it all a bit more in the future, but I'm a little concerned about taking my eye off the ball too much for now.

Evernote
I added Evernote to my iPhone in December 2010 but never actually used it.  I don't think I realised quite how much it can do.  Unfortunately it comes back to that same old problem of downloading in work - I'm not allowed.  If there's a real business case for it then yes I could request it, but until I get the measure of it I can't sell its merits.

So that'll be more homework then!

I don't mind this too much as it’s the kind of tool that I can see being quite useful.  It’s just a question of having the time to do it.  Maybe I can start with two personal interests to begin with and see how I get on - interest 1 learning to play guitar; interest 2 learning Welsh.  I'll keep you posted if I like how it’s going!

No comments:

Post a Comment