Tuesday 2 August 2011

Putting a name to a face (aka Thing 7)

Oh dear, I'm feeling a bit lost now - Despite her best efforts Lauren of Lauren's 23 Things hasn't been able to convince me to pay for CILIP membership, or membership of any other profesisonal organisation - I really can not afford it especially when I have limited time to get involed.  Please believe me Lauren when I say I think you made very worthy points and if I could I would join.  Indeed I wish you luck in your election.

In the meantime I have asked to join The Library Society of the World on Linkedin so that I can find a way to contact them about joining the actual network (it is FREE).  They have locked down membership due to problems with spam users so I can't just join.  I'll finish doing that once I get accepted by them on Linkedin.

I would like to get involved with a network.  I realise that it can be very useful to career progression and a great way to develop skills (depending on level of engagement).

Aside from the professional networking outlined in the Thing 7 brief, I do have an alternative avenue for networking - I currently take a Welsh language course and consider that a networking opportuntiy.  From September I'll be attending a weekly lunchtime group which will provide opportuntuy to converse in Welsh AND meet other Welsh learners where I work.  The great thing about working in a university is that your career is never limited to one department.  Networking with my colleagues has huge benefits - even if it is just being able to say "hello" to someone on campus, which always feels good.

No comments:

Post a Comment